Sunday 27 September 2020

July Reading Round-Up

Playing catch up again, because life has got away from me a bit recently... No books in July, but I can tell you there will *definitely* be finished books in my August post! And yes, that's books - plural 😃📚

Anyway, here's what I read and bookmarked online in July:

We Daughters by Shenan Hahn (Riggwelter, pg 13-14) - A breathless flood of a poem, packed with wonderful imagery. I recommend reading it aloud and letting yourself be carried along by the words.

Pearl by Candace Hartsuyker (Ellipsis Zine) - I'm a bit obsessed with watery stories at the moment - reading and writing - and there seem to be lots out there, whether because I'm tapping into a trend or just noticing them more I don't know. This one is great, creepy and strangely magical.

Scavenger and Lost Property by Anne Howkins (Reflex Fiction) - Wonderfully gothic and strange, with great description and language, and a last line that packs a real punch.

Float and Disappear by Cathy Ulrich (Ligeia Magazine) - A quietly lovely post-apocalyptic story about being alone at the end of the world.

Little Ghost by Melissa Goodrich (The Forge) - A ghost story, sad and at the same time, I think, kind of hopeful, about how the people we lose never leave us.

Runaway by Ian O'Brien (STORGY) - This conveys both fear and the possibility of freedom very well. It is about escape and hope, and builds to a powerful image in the penultimate paragraph, and finally a moment of release.

In All That Light by Cathy Ulrich (Empty House Press) - The second Cathy Ulrich story I saved in July, this one is one of her girl detective stories. I really like the magical, dreamlike quality this has.

The Twelve by Paul Negri (Lunate) - I enjoyed the premise of this and the way it builds to a conclusion that, after the fact, seems inevitable.

When You're The High School Biology Teacher by Candace Hartsuyker (Porcupine Literary) - Finally, a second story by Candace Hartsuyker; this is great - rather creepy from the start, and taking an interesting turn part way through that is wonderfully unexpected.


However sporadic these posts are, this is still the longest I've maintained a blog for a very long time, so that something to feel good about, particularly n these strange times. I've seen a lot of things about crisis fatigue hitting at the 6 month point and I'm definitely feeling some of that, plus the stress of a new academic year starting, so if you are too I will send some socially-distanced virtual hugs in your direction! Till next time...

Accurate representation of me at this stage of lockdown


No comments:

Post a Comment